Tuesday, January 27, 2009


A Divorce Challenge for You...
We use online blogs, forums and chat rooms to vent about our divorces, let off steam and do some ex bashing (often well deserved!). The Internet is a great way to connect with others going through the same situation and it gives us that much needed support during a very difficult time. But what if we tried something different here? What if everyone who reads this leaves a positive comment about their ex?
Now before you think I have gone crazy, hear me out. I have written extensively about my ex and all of his wrongdoings. My purpose is not to excuse or ignore anyone's ex-husband or ex-wive's bad behavior. What I think might be helpful is to find some good in our exes, the reason why we married them in the first place, and share it here.
Why? Because it is so easy to only look at all of the terrible things our exes have done and when we do that we certainly do not feel good. It is difficult to move on and let go when we view our ex as an evil person who has inflicted only pain on us. Now, for someone who has been physically or emotionally abused, remembering even one act of random kindness that your ex performed may be tough. But doing this is not for your ex's benefit, it is for yours. By finding a morsel of goodness in your ex, it might help you forgive and let go of some of the pain you may feel.
So this is my divorce challenge to you. I will go first:
"During my marriage, there were times when my ex was helpful, kind and considerate. He sometimes helped me clean the house, often cooked dinner or went food shopping. He once surprised me with a puppy I had fallen in love with at a pet store. About a year before we separated, he bought me a new wedding ring because he was never happy with the original diamond he gave me when we married. He had the waiter bring the ring box out on my desert plate to surprise me one night over a romantic dinner."
So these were some of my fond memories from my marriage. Now it is your turn, if you are up for the challenge. I admit, this is not easy. It is so much easier to remember all of the bad times and forget the good. But I think once you do this, you will feel better and it will also give you some nice memories to share with your children.
If you just can't bear to write one positive thing about your ex, then don't. By privately reflecting on some of the good moments in your marriage, you will begin the healing process. Life is usually not all black or white, good or bad. By accepting your marriage and divorce for what it is, a combination of both, you can free yourself of anger and pain and move on.

1 comment:

Utah Divorce Lawyer said...

This post is seems like very interesting. Thank you and keep sharing.