Tuesday, July 29, 2008



Mulitple Divorces-When Should You Stop Getting Married?

In the news this week is the story of TV Host Larry King announcing he will divorce his 7th wife. Larry has been married seven times. You would think most people would stop getting married after the third or fourth divorce, but they are people, like Larry King, who enjoy getting married so much they keep doing it.

It amazes me that someone could go through that many divorces. One was more than enough for me! I cannot fathom going through a second divorce and that is one of the reasons I am unsure if I will ever remarry. The pain from a divorce is so intense and life altering, the thought of someone repeatedly going through that sounds like torture to me.

Maybe they are just hopeless romantics and really believe each time they walk down the aisle that this time it will be forever. Unfortunately, the odds are stacked against anyone remarrying, with the rates of divorce rising significantly with the second marriage and the odds of staying married being even worse for the third.

I have a friend who is on his third marriage and has been happily married for over twenty years. He was brave enough to give marriage a second and third shot. Sometimes we get in the wrong relationships for the wrong reasons and it may take time to find that "soul mate". But 7 marriages and divorces? I think Larry King may want to consider living together the next time.

No comments: