5 Ways to Take Back Control During a Divorce...
If you are going through a divorce you need to take some time out to take care of yourself. With all of the emotional upheaval and trauma you are experiencing right now, you need to do some things to regain balance and order in your life.
Here are 5 ways to take back control of your life:
1. Make an appointment at the salon. Go get your hair colored, highlighted and cut. A new look will lift your spirits and make you feel good about yourself again. It is critical that you raise your self-esteem and take care of yourself physically during a divorce. You will feel empowered when you walk into the courtroom looking your very best.
2. Redecorate your bedroom. If you are in the marital home and your ex has moved out, now is the time to make some changes to the bedroom. Put your ex's belongings in boxes if he has not already collected them. Buy a new comforter and some new sheets and pillows for your bed. The bedroom can be a painful reminder of your loss, so making some changes and bringing in some new items can lift your spirits.
3. Hire a babysitter and go out once a week. you need time to yourself to think and heal from the trauma of divorce. Go for lunch with a friend, spend an hour at the gym or join a group on meetup.com. Make sure to schedule this time for yourself.
4. Spend some time outdoors. Plant some new flowers or start a garden. Long walks or bike rides with the kids are great ways to get some exercise and release some energy. Just getting out of the house and into the fresh air will help you to feel better.
5. Go to the library or bookstore and read a novel. You want to lose yourself for awhile so that you are not dwelling on your divorce 24/7. Renting movies and playing board games with the kids are also great distractions. You need to get your mind off of the divorce from time to time so that it does not consume your every waking thought.