Friday, August 03, 2007

How To Handle The "I Am So Sorry You Are Divorced" Comment

It can be awkward for a recently divorced woman when she tells
someone she has gotten a divorce. For some reason, most people say
"Oh, I am so sorry". I think people are uncomfortable and do not know
what is the right thing to say to a divorced person. Since divorce is usually
a negative life event, offering condolences seems appropriate.
But what if you have come to accept your divorce and are happier than ever
being a single woman? Here are some snappy and possibly truthful comebacks that you can use that will lighten things up and put everyone at ease:
1." Don't be sorry, I lost 240 lbs!"( or whatever your ex weighed).
2. "Thank you for your concern, but I now have my king size bed all to myself
and best of all there is no snoring man sleeping in it!
3. " Honestly, being divorced isn't so bad. I have both closets, all of the drawer space
and do not have to worry about the toilet seat being left up"
If you keep a sense of humor I am sure you can come up with your own answer to the
"I am so sorry you are divorced" comment that is so popular today.

No comments: